Saturday 4 February 2012

Grammar


Grammar includes the structure of word, phrases, clauses and sentences. Grammar is divided into morphology, which describes the formation of words, and syntax, which describes the construction of meaningful phrases, clauses, and sentences out of words. Eight major word classes are noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and deter. A word can sometimes belong to several verb classes.  Words combine to form phrases which themselves can take on the attributes of a word class.  Other phrase classes are: verb phrases, adjective phrases, adverb phrases, prepositional phrases, and determiner phrases.
You may visit the following websites and download the following files to get a clear picture on what grammar is.

I recommended the above websites as I have gone through it. I found that it can be easily understood by us and the explanations are direct and the examples also simple and can be easily understood. If you are looking for the grammar tenses, please click on the third link that has been given above as it contains a table which illustrates each grammar tenses with the signal words, use and examples for each grammar tenses. You also can make it as a short note for your English studies.
It is important to learn it so that we will be able to explain the function of each categories of grammar to our children or students in future. However, we must make sure that we have mastered it enough so that the English proficiency among our students in future can be raised.
Honestly, even though I have learned since I was a primary student, I admit that sometimes I could not analyse some sentences according to grammar categories.  Therefore, I feel that studying it brings no harm towards me as it has helped to improve my English much better than before.  Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the English teachers that have made great efforts in teaching me the English subject.
As conclusion, the purpose of studying grammar is not to burden us with so much rules or principles. In fact, the aim of it, so that we know how the structure of the sentence was made and what categories of grammar involved in forming a sentence and how the usage of each grammar tenses in a sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment