Thursday 2 February 2012

Function of Language

On 11th January 2012, we were asked to present a role play based on any social setting. So, we had decided to choose a mall, which is Imperial Mall as our setting. Apart from that, the dialogue of the role play must contain at least five language functions and the other groups will have to identify the language function that can be found on the conversation among the characters. I'm really enjoyed doing this task as it help me to recall back the things that I have learnt before. Apart from that, I also enjoy the other groups' performances since there are a lot of humour. Even though it may look simple for us, sometimes, we might also find that very difficult to identify the function of language that used in our daily conversation. 

Before presenting our role play, we also has done few practices in hope that we will not look miserable during the day of presenting the role play. I tends to laugh when I look at my friend while I am presenting something during any lessons. That is the most fearful thing that I feel before we are presenting our group's role play.  I am afraid that I will suddenly forget my dialogue and lose my focus when I look at my friends. However, I am feel grateful that I manage to control myself from laughing when I am presenting my part in the role play.     When we are doing our practices, I manage to remember my dialogue. But, suddenly, during the presentation, I forgot some of dialogue. However, I manage to cover by speaking spontaneously during the role play and I'm getting more confident when I looked at my friends who are really enjoyed with our group performance.  That's why I love to speak spontaneously even though sometimes there is lot of grammatical errors within it. I also love when someone correct the grammatical mistakes for me while I am speaking. This will help me to improve my speaking in English language better.

In term of props, we only use hair shampoo products which are different in types. I think that props are very important while we are acting as it helps us to convey the message more clearly. Sometimes, the audiences may not catch up what we are talking about. However, by manipulating the props, at least they can understand what was going on while we are acting. While I am presenting the role play, I assume that there is nobody watching us so that I will be more comfortable and confident to speak and act. 

Apart from that, I also enjoy with other group's performance and this activities has gives a lot of ideas which may be useful for us someday. While watching they performing their role play, I also learn something new from them in term on how manipulate our facial expression and how was our intonation while speaking in certain situation. 

I love this activity as it gives me chance to improve my speaking skills in English. I do believe that not much of us will speak to each other in English. Most of us will prefer to speak in our native language when we meet each other. I think that this is the only chance where we can converse in English language that is through the presentation during English lesson. Furthermore, our major are taught in Malay language. Therefore, I seldom have the chance to speak to my friend in English. But, I also notice that some of my friends have very proficient in English such as Hubert, Jessica, Tiong Kung Ling, Normaliza, Dayang Narzeriah and more. I love the way they pronounce the words or sentences and their intonations while speaking are very clear and they able to speak fluently in English. I always imitates the way they pronounce something in hope that I can improve myself in term of vocabulary and pronunciation so that I will be a good English speaker too as they are.

I think that learning English is a necessity as it is widely used nowadays and I feel grateful that I have the chance to study the English language and teach English language in future. Therefore, I have to work hard in order to make me proficient in English language so that the parents will not worry about their children performance in English language and doubt on my abilities in teaching English language if I am their children's English teacher in future. 

Last but not least, I hope that there will be more fun activities that will be held in future which can help to improve myself in English language. I also hope that each of us can help me to improve my English language skills by correcting me if there is any grammatical errors when I am speaking. I am willing to learn from mistakes as it bring no harm towards me, in fact, it is beneficial to my career in future. 

That's all. Thank you.

The dialogue on the role play is as below.
Setting : Imperial Shopping Mall
Nickelson
: Hey, Priscilla. (to greet) Let us go to Guardian. (to suggest) I want to buy a bottle of hair shampoo there. (to explain)
Priscilla
: Sure I will go with you. (to agree) I would like to have a look at some facial products.
Priscilla & Nickelson are walking around Guardian. 
Priscilla
: What type of hair shampoo do you want to buy? (to ask)
Nickelson
: I used PANTEEN before. But, I still have hair fall problems. My hair becomes thinner from day to day. (to complain)
Priscilla
: I suggest that you use another type of shampoo which is more suitable for your hair. (to suggest)
 
A few moments later, two promoters are approaching them.
 
Edward
: Welcome to Guardian. (to greet) May I help you, Sir? (to ask)
Nickelson
: I want to buy a bottle of shampoo which can help me to control my hair loss. I used PANTEEN hair fall control before, but I feel it is not effective. (to complain)
Edward
: I think that you should try CLEAR hair shampoo to strengthen the roots of your hair. A lot of customers prefer this product, Sir. (to recommend)
Beremas
: Excuse me. (to interrupt) I would like to introduce to you a new product from LOREAL brand. I’m sure that this hair shampoo will help you to restore your hair condition. It will make your hair look smooth and silky. (to explain)
Priscilla
: Can both of you let him think and choose by himself? Which one do you prefer, Nick? (to ask)
Nickelson
: Hmm… (Thinking) Do you have other types of hair shampoo which are more affordable since the product that you introduced to me just now are is quite expensive? (to ask)
Edward
: You can use SUNSILK Hair Fall Control. If you buy this hair shampoo, you will get a free hair conditioner. The price is only RM 6.60. I am using this product too. Look at my hair. It looks spiky and easy to manage. (to support) What do you think, Berry? (to ask opinion)
Beremas
: I agree with you, Eduardo. (to agree) Anyway, why don”t you have a try ? (to recommend)
Nickelson
: Okay then. Thanks for your help. (to thank) Let us go, Pris. (to invite)
Edward & Beremas
: You’re welcome. Please come again. (to show pleasure)
Nickelson & Priscilla
: Okay, bye. 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment