Monday 5 March 2012

Syntax - Worksheet for sentence analysis



Another activity that we must design for the evaluation is a worksheet with two sentences for analysis using tree diagram and its suggested answer. Therefore, I have created two sentences as shown below which will be included in the worksheet that I have been created.
1.      Nina believes that Kelly knew that David is married even though Kelly denies it.
2.      The tough guy who next to you fell into the drain yesterday.
The layout of the tree diagrams for these two sentences are as follow.







Following are the suggested answers for the questions in the worksheet that has been created. 



In order to avoid any grammatical mistakes or sentence analysis, we also have sent the worksheet as the draft to our lecturer for preview, correction and modification. This activity will be conducted during the ELE 3103 lesson in the classroom in which each of us will exchange the worksheet among us so that we will have the chance to answer the questions that have been designed by our friends. 
After made some correction on it, I have printed these worksheets so that my friend will have the chance to go through it and answer it. I think the sentences that I have used are not too complex and it's suitable for our level. However, in order to answer all the questions correctly, the candidates should be able  to identify the category of the phrases and the word classes which are contained in the sentences. Some of the words may have different function and used in different context too. Therefore, the candidates should read through the sentence before labeling the phrases or words which are contained in these sentences.
In the process of designing these tree diagrams, I found that it's not easy to create a worksheet for others to try. We have to make sure that the questions given are correct in term of grammar and their orders. Sometimes, it is also hard to identify the word classes of certain words since some of the words are differ in term of meaning and function as I said before. Therefore, I have referred some of my friends to make some preview on it and modify it so that it will be more challenging and interesting. Apart from that, it is can be assumed as the practice for me to become a teacher who is able to create worksheets which can help in reinforce the students' knowledge as well as designing questions that are able to challenge their minds.There is a lot of features that we must consider before we create a worksheet as we need to make sure it is creative in term of its appearance and able to attract the pupils' attention to answer it. Then, it must suits the target's level of knowledge and there must be variety in term of level of difficulties so that the pupils will be able to improve themselves in the specific learning areas or topics for the worksheets.
Syntax basically refers to the rules for the arrangement of words into phrases and phrases into sentences. The syntax tree diagrams can help us to understand the grammatical structure of a sentence in a better and easier way. Syntax is an important part of language and is usually difficult to grasp. By observing a sentence which has been “broken down” into its constituents by means of a tree diagram we can see how each part combines to the others and fit together as a meaningful sentence. This is very useful for teachers and learners to study the formation of sentence.  The functions of syntax tree diagrams are very much similar to family tree diagrams and the difference is just that these tree diagrams are used to visualize the construction of a language rather than a family. 

This activity has been carried out in this week during ELE3103 lesson. I am really glad that each of us are enjoyed in answering the worksheets. This activity is very beneficial to us as it helps us to recap the thing that we have learned from the ELE3103 especially in syntax topic. For the worksheet that I have created, I am glad that my friend are able to fill most of the boxes with correct answers. This means that the goals of the this activity has been achieves as the students are able to understand the instruction of worksheet clearly and also able to fill up the boxes with the most answers. Other than that, I also would like to share my experience in completing the worksheet which is prepared by my friend. The sentences used in the worksheet also very challenging and sometimes I took time to classify some phrases or word as I was confused with the answer that I am about to fill in as I am not really sure which category of word classes did it belongs to. However, I am glad as I am able to answer fill up most of the boxes with the correct answers. Beside, this activity can be assumed as one of the reinforcement and enrichment activities for us that helps a lot in revising back what I have learned from ELE 3103 lessons before.
That's all from me. Thank you




1 comment: